The Bevy has always been more than just a pub and throughout the pandemic we’ve delivered thousands of meals to local vulnerable individuals and families. This has been possible thanks to an army of volunteers, including no less than 25 Delivery drivers, cyclists and walkers this year alone plus 5 volunteer kitchen assistants. It has also included our first cohort of Trainees from St John’s College. Three young people with various learning disabilities have worked in the kitchen every week for over six months. They are an integral part of the Bevy Bites team, helping to ensure our average 60 meals a session are cooked and ready for collection and delivery by 12 o’clock every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We’re even busier than usual as we’re supplying a Holiday Activity Programme for teens at ‘The 67 Centre’ with 25 meals three times a week all over the summer break.
We are always looking for volunteers especially this time of year when people need to take a well earned break
As restrictions lift we are once again offering a wide range of activities for the whole community and a space for local groups to meet, these include;
- A social event for the ‘Emergency Food Network’ organised by Brighton and Hove Food Project, hosted and fed by Bevy Bites
- Regular meetups and breakfasts for the Amaze Sunflower Group supporting families with children with additional needs
- A drop-in for people to hear about CityFibre who are installing superfast broadband across Moulsecoomb and Bevendean
- Esxclusive hire to families holding wakes for loved ones
- The Bevy hosted ‘Our Place’ in Moulsecoomb and Bevendean for the first time this year. We hosted a musical cabaret for local elders that went down a storm, were part of the Arches trail around the neighbourhood and decorated a window as part of the Dome Windows Heritage project
We’re available for hire – everything from weddings, wakes, conferences, meetings and parties. Our limited opening hours and flexible indoor and outdoor space means you can book the Bevy for a private function. We also supply outside catering for your event or can host your club at the pub.
- Bevendean ParkRun, one of Britain’s hilliest, most scenic Parkruns, has restarted and we’ll be relaunching the Bevy Breakfast to feed the runners and anyone else who wants to pop in on a Saturday morning
- We’re also looking to launch a Saturday Morning Mini Market soon so get in touch if you would like a stall or have any ideas
- Varndean College are running a six week Lino print course at The Bevy starting on Thursday 14th October from 9.45 -11.45am for six weeks
- We’ll be providing a venue for ‘Read Easy’, who will be running a Literacy programme for adults starting later in the year
- The Bevy, Trust for Developing Communities and Switchboard have started an overdue conversation with LGBTQ+ residents about what activities, events and support they would like to access locally.
- We have also applied for Funding to support the councils information sessions to encourage Vaccination uptake.
- We’re delighted to say that the flagship Lunch Club for elders ‘Friday Friends’ will be serving lunches again from Friday 20th August. They have been a lifeline for local vulnerable people delivering thousands of puddings and cakes and fresh fruit and vegetables throughout lockdown. Now that is definitely something to raise a glass to – washed down with a big dollop of custard on their rhubarb crumble!